Berghotel Mummelsee – Our history
This image dating from 1640 gives a striking picture of the position of the tarn at the foot of the Hornisgrinde. According to the artist’s imagination, the lake is inhabited not by water sprites but by giant mythical lizard-like creatures.
The shelter on the Mummelsee served food and drink for the first time in the summer of 1872.
Opening celebration of the Mummelsee Hotel on 15 August 1893.
The lake can only be reached on foot. The hotel is closed in winter.
A summer’s day at the Mummelsee in 1912.
Numerous changes of owners. The Bürk family arrives at Mummelsee. Bad road conditions, bad business. Skiers only at weekends.
Right up until the spring of 1930, water still had to be carried up to the rooms in jugs.
Construction of youth hostel. First phase of Black Forest Hochstrasse scenic route.
Second phase of Black Forest Hochstrasse scenic route to the Ruhestein pass. Construction of a chapel as a mark of gratitude for recovery from serious illness. Temporary boycott of travel by the KdF (Nazi leisure organisation).
During World War 2: House used for children’s evacuation programme, youth hostel used for training courses for soldiers in the Luftwaffe. Bomb damage.
House requisitioned by occupying forces.
Youth hostel burned down; rebuilt again in four months. Occupying forces intend to fill in the lake and create a military training area.
House derequisitioned, fundamental renovation; old part of the house demolished and rebuilt. Removal of garages by the lake, the guard house, the heating block and the barbed wire.
Demolition of new youth hostel to make way for road improvement. Construction of staff quarters. Replanting by lakeside. Tourism slowly re-establishes itself.
Group photo of staff. The Bürk family (far right) managed the Mummelsee Hotel for a total of 50 years.
Picture: Helmut Kohlmeier
St. Michael’s Chapel rebuilt.
Death of the tenant (Bürk).
The Bürk family continue to run the hotel until 1977.
Hotel taken over by Schwarzwälder Gaststättenbetriebe, run by Roland and Anita Dieterle and family.
Opening of annex on the east side on the foundation of the former terrace.
Major building and renovation works in the hotel, including renovation of guest rooms.
Roof added to terrace on the lake.
Bärbel and Karl-Heinz Müller and family take over the hotel from their parents.
After a devastating fire, the hotel is totally destroyed, and has to be completely demolished.
Ground breaking ceremony for the new Berghotel Mummelsee.
Berghotel Mummelsee re-opens.
Wellness Spa opens.
Opening of the meeting rooms.
Building of an accessible path around the lake.